The Members of Garnet & Gold Key
Fall 2015 Award Recipients
The names for each recipient are as follows (from left to right): True Seminole: Jack Haffey, Vires: Cole Hensley, Artes: Evan Roman, and Mores: Felicia Steinberg
Spring 2016 Award Recipients
Leadership: Qaree Dreher
Qaree is a third year representative and the current Service Scholars Chair. As the previous Secretary
of Programming and Service for FSU’s Student Government Association, Qaree collaborated to host the first annual Service Fair with the Office of Servant Leadership and worked with the cabinet to execute the administration platform. He took his skills even
further as the previous Vice President of Public Relations for Garnet and Gold Key and a Homecoming representative on this fall’s homecoming court.
Scholarship: Alexandra Barth
Alex has participated in undergraduate research at Florida State ever since the summer of 2014, and previously served as a founder and board member of the Student Council for Undergraduate Research and Creativity. Additionally, Alex is the founder and president of the Florida State University Chapter of American Chemical Society. Since October 2014, Alex has balanced her rigorous academic schedule with an internship with the Office of the Chief Scientist at NASA.
Service: David Butter
As the previous philanthropy chairman and president of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, David created and executed the “Taus for a Cause” volunteer project which included 180 volunteers from all 8 Alpha Tau Omega chapters in the state of Florida. Additionally, David has been a part of the Service Scholars program ever since he stepped foot on Florida State’s campus, where he pledges 75 hours of community service per semester. David also continues to serve others in the community as a Community Ambassador Liasion, where he linked the Second Harvest food banks with the people, programs and resources on FSU’s campus.
Spirit: Laurence Thompson
Laurence exemplifies his extraordinary spirit as a student leader on FSU’s campus. As the current president of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and Student Foundation Board of Trustee, Laurence is never seen without a smile on his face and is always willing to help others in need. Laurence previously served as the Secretary for Campus Engagement on FSU SGA’s Executive Cabinet and also as an undergraduate senator, where he advocated for his constituents through various pieces of legislation.
As a representative of Garnet & Gold Key, everyday you must carry with you the values of our University the three torches Vires, Artes, Mores. You must have the strength to speak up for what you believe in, and to utilize your roles in leadership to speak up for those that you represent. You must have the skill to know what your strengths and weaknesses are; and how to apply your strengths to your leadership roles and work towards improving your weaknesses. You must have the character to treat others with the utmost respect and kindness, and to not only live your values morally but also ethically.
As a member of Garnet & Gold Key, you will also have two sets of duties.
Your first set of duties is to contribute to the campus of Florida State University:
- As a member of the student body, always uphold the three torches as a representative of the University and our organization.
- Strive to continue to personally develop as a leader and encourage fellow students to do the same.
- Be an innovative leader on campus and contribute to the formation of new ideas while upholding the traditions of the university.
- Know that Florida State is apart of a greater community, and that serving your community may prove to be equally fulfilling as serving your campus.
Your second set of duties is to contribute to Garnet & Gold Key as a member:
- Disseminate information to your respective area of campus to the entire student body in order to assist fellow students.
- Share information with your organizations about issues and events going on in other sectors of campus to further spread our valued diversity.
- Be a proactive member contribute new ideas and approaches to the organization in order to meet the shared vision.