Peer mentors play an important role in the Freshman Leadership Institute. As the “go to” person for each participant, mentors provide students with information, encouragement and guidance as they adjust to their new life as a Seminole. As Peer Mentors, you are paired with an FLI participant to provide guidance and assistance as the student becomes more involved on campus.
The relationship with the mentor and mentee should be genuine and mutual in order to develop the best relationship. Peer mentors have proved to assist in the increase of the retention rate for incoming students by helping them assimilate and get adjusted to the university as well as enhancing the collegiate experience.
- Promote academic excellence
- Encourage student development
- Share knowledge of campus services and resources
- Help establish career and educational goals
- Behave as a reliable and consistent resource of support and inspiration
Qualifications and Responsibilities of a FLI Peer Mentor
You MUST attend at least one information session in order to be considered for a mentor position!
- Attend Florida State University for at least 2 (two) semesters
- Have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average
- Not have a class on Mondays from 4:00-6:00pm Note: The FLI Advisor will check your schedule
- Attend a mandatory mentor info session. Sessions will be held on:
- September 18 - ASLC 101B
- September 19 - SSB 214
- September 20 - ASLC 101D